Welcome to SSA Online Learning! Bookmark this page to access links to upcoming and archived SSA events, lectures, and workshops as well as events presented by our colleagues at the University of Chicago and across academia. We will be adding more content in the next weeks and months, so please check back often.
Click on the links below to register for upcoming events or peruse archived content at your leisure. All events are free and available to the public. You will receive an email with webinar links after you register for any upcoming events. Please take note of the time zone for upcoming events. Archived events may be accessed at any time.
Effect of Income on Child Health and Development: Evidence from Minimum Wage Changes
Note: This is the final Michael M. Davis Seminar of the Autumn quarter.
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
12:30 pm CST
SSA Helen Ross Professor Harold Pollack will introduce Robert Kaestner, PhD, MA, Research Professor, Harris School of Public Policy, The University of Chicago.
Visit the Center for Health Administration Studies (CHAS) website for more information.
SSA/UEI Parent and Caregiver Webinar Series
Balancing Screen-Time with Staying Active and Getting Rest | REGISTER
Tuesday, November 17, 5:00 - 6:00 pm CST
How Parents Support Social and Emotional Learning at Home | REGISTER
Tuesday, November 24, 5:00 - 6:00 pm CST
During this uncertain time, parents are struggling to balance work, childcare, and self-care while keeping worries — both your children’s and your own — under control. You are not alone. SSA and the Urban Education Institute (UEI) have partnered to organize and offer a virtual series that aims to help parents and caregivers manage the new normal. The sessions draw on the perspectives and experiences of social service practitioners, literacy experts, college admissions officers and counselors, and other parents to help you navigate challenging days.
Please refer to this PDF for additional details.
Several recent events are available to be viewed online.
Hosted by Reuben Jonathan Miller, Assistant Professor at SSA and Alice Kim, Director of Human Rights, UChicago Pozen Family Center for Human Rights:
- A Conversation with Jhody Polk, Founder and Director of the Legal Empowerment and Advocacy Hub (L.E.A.H.)
- A Conversation with Susan Burton, founder of A New Way of Life Reentry Project (ANWOL)
Presented by SSA and the UChicago Crime and Education Labs:
- A Most Beautiful Thing. The story of the first African American high school rowing team in the nation from the West Side of Chicago.
Doctoral Centennial Symposium Videos
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It), all four of our Doctoral Centennial Symposium Videos are available for viewing.
- Advancing Socially Just Services for Children, Youth, and Families
- Racial/Ethnic and Cultural Contours of Community Interventions, Advocacy, and Change
- Precarious Employment in the Context of COVID-19: Governmental and Private Sector Responses to Mitigate Economic Hardship
- Doctoral Education in Social Work: Programmatic Reforms for the 21st Century