- 44122 Self-Awareness and Social Work with Diverse Populations
- Dean of Students, Diversity & Inclusion, School of Social Service Administration, Chicago, IL
- Director, Center for Identity, Inclusion and Social Change, DePaul University, Chicago, IL
- Assistant Director, Office of Multicultural Success, DePaul University, Chicago, IL
- Director, Office of Intercultural Development, Mount St. Mary's University, Emmitsburg, MD
- Associate Director for Judicial Affairs, Office of Residential Life, Fordham University, Bronx, NY
- Assistant Director, Office of Student Life, Loyola University Maryland, Baltimore, MD
Fields of Special Interest
- Social Justice Fatigue
- Multiraciality and Monoracism
- Transformative Organizational Change
- Identity development, power, and leadership
- Student activism and campus climate
- Furr, S. & Pendakur, V. (2017). What is leadership? Connecting personal identity to social systems and power dynamics. In J. P. Dugan, N. T. Turman, A. C. Barnes & Associates (Eds.), Leadership theory: A facilitator’s guide for cultivating critical perspectives (pp. 23-34). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Pendakur, V. & Furr, S. (2016). Critical leadership pedagogy: Engaging power, identity, and culture in leadership education for college students of color. In K. Guthrie & L. Osteen (Eds.), New directions for higher education: Reclaiming higher education’s purpose in leadership development (pp. 45-55). Wiley Periodicals.
- Furr, S. (2016). Identity-conscious approaches to first-year, peer-to-peer retention programs. In V. Pendakur, Ed, Closing the opportunity gap: Identity-conscious strategies for retention and student success. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Keynote Speaker, “A Case for Social Justice Fatigue,” Loyola University Chicago Social Justice Symposium, March 2019.
- “Wellness Interventions for Social Justice Fatigue,” Loyola University Chicago Professional Development Conference, Chicago, Illinois January 2019.
- “Beyond the Protest: Advocacy and the Empowered Student,” North American Interfraternity Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana August 2017.
- “Creating Transformative Workplaces When You Are the Master’s Tools,” American College Personnel Association International Convention, Columbus, Ohio March 2017. Co-presenter: V. Leilani Kupo
- “Radical Healing for Social Change,” DePaul Theater School Racial Justice Teach-In, Chicago, Illinois October 2016.
- “Radical Healing for Social Change,” Black Lives Matter Conference, Chicago, Illinois April 2016.
- “Racial Caucusing as a Training Tool for Resident Advisor Training,” American College Personnel Association International Convention, Montreal, Canada, March 2016. Co-presenter: Charee Holloway
- Keynote speaker, “The Myth of Diversity and Moving Beyond Coded Language”, Chicago Quarter Best Practices Conference, May 2016
- “Advocating for Social Change When You Are the Master’s Tools,” American College Personnel Association International Convention, Montreal, Canada, March 2016. Co-presenter: V. Leilani Kupo
- “Identity-Conscious Supervision,” American College Personnel Association International Convention, Montreal, Canada, March 2016.