Pajarita Charles is a lecturer and researcher at the School of Social Service Administration. She can be reached by email.
Pajarita's CV can be viewed here.
- Researcher, Chicago Center for Youth Violence Prevention, University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration
- Project Director, California Youth Transitions to Adulthood Study (CalYOUTH), University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration
- Research Assistant Professor, School of Social Work, UNC at Chapel Hill
- Co-Investigator of Strong Couples-Strong Children Research Study
- Co-Principal Investigator of Families & Financial Stability Study
Fields of Special Interest
- Criminal Justice Involvement
- Child wellbeing
- Social welfare policy
- Intervention research
- Program evaluation
Publications or Presentations
- Charles, P., Gorman-Smith, D., & Jones, A. (2015). Designing an intervention to promote child development among fathers with antisocial behavior. Research on Social Work Practice. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/1049731515580440
Jones, A., & Charles, P. (2015). Family strengthening programs: Where do we go from here? Journal of Family Strengths, 14(1), Article 2. Available from http://digitalcommons.library.tmc.edu/jfs/vol14/iss1/2
Charles, P. (2014). Diversity of family structure. In Encyclopedia of Human Services and Diversity. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
Courtney, M., Charles, P., Okpych, N., Napolitano, L., & Halstead, K. (2014). Findings from the California youth transitions to adulthood study (CalYOUTH): Conditions of foster youth at age 17 [Report]. Chicago: Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago. Retrieved from http://www.chapinhall.org/sites/default/files/Youth%20Report.pdf
Charles, P., Jones, A., & Guo, S. (2014). Treatment effects of a relationship-strengthening intervention for economically disadvantaged new parents. Research on Social Work Practice, 24(3), 321-338.
Grinstein-Weiss, M., Manturuk, K., Guo, S., Charles, P., & Key, C. (2014). The impact of homeownership on marriage and divorce: Evidence from propensity score matching. Social Work Research, 38(2), 73-90.
Jones, A., Charles, P., & Benson, K. (2013). A model for supporting at-risk couples during the transition to parenthood. Families in Society, 94(3), 166-173.
Grinstein-Weiss, M., Charles, P., Guo, S., Manturuk, K., & Key, C. (2011). The effect of marital status on homeownership among low-income households. Social Service Review, 85(3), 475-503.
Akos, P., Charles, P., Orthner, D., & Cooley, V. (2011). Teacher perspectives on career relevant curriculum in middle school. Research in Middle Level Education Online, 34(5), 1-9.
Charles, P., Gorman-Smith, D., Spielfogel, J. E., & Schoeny, M. (2015, January). The effect of criminal history on father involvement: The moderating role of maternal and kin support and relationship quality. 19th Annual Conference of the Society for Social Work and Research, New Orleans, LA.
Jones, A., & Charles, P. (2015, January). Young African-American fathers' perspectives on obstacles and solutions to economic stability. Symposium presentation: The Social and Behavioral Importance of African American Fathers: Enhancing the Prosperity of Vulnerable Youth and Families. 19th Annual Conference of the Society for Social Work and Research, New Orleans, LA.
Charles, P., & Courtney, M. (2015, January). The health status of transition age foster age: Early findings from the CalYOUTH study. Symposium presentation: Early Findings from the California Youth Transitions to Adulthood Study (CalYOUTH). 19th Annual Conference of the Society for Social Work and Research, New Orleans, LA.