The AM application opens on September 1 and will be open continually until the April deadline. Only complete applications will be considered. We will process your application once we receive all of the following materials.
Along with your application, please submit the following:
- A $75 Application Fee: The fee is non-refundable and does not apply toward tuition or other charges. The fee is waived for AmeriCorps, McNair Scholars Program, Peace Corps and Teach For America alumni. Please upload verification of your service with your application. If you have received a fee waiver form by attending an admissions event, please complete the fee waiver form on the online application and enter your fee waiver code.
- Three Letters of Recommendation. A minimum of three recommendations are required, two of which should address your academic ability. References should be qualified to discuss your aptitude for both graduate study and social work. No more than four letters of recommendation may be submitted.
Current undergraduates or recent graduates must include at least two academic references.
Transfer students and Advanced Standing Program applicants must include two academic references and a reference from a current or recent practice professor or field instructor who can evaluate your performance in field placement or submit a final field evaluation.
Applicants who are or recently have been employed must include one reference from an employment supervisor. Ask your professional references to speak to your analytic and critical thinking skills.
- Candidate's Statement. You must write a 4-page, double-spaced statement that addresses all of the following:
- a social problem and how a direct practice or policy intervention might provide a way to engage that problem;
- specific short and long term personal goals; and
- how a social work education at SSA provides a way to achieve those goals.
EEP applicants must also briefly discuss how they intend to accommodate the additional demands of course and field responsibilities in this program.
Transcripts: You must provide official transcripts from every institution where you’ve taken 3 or more courses unless these courses and the grades appear on your home institution transcript. This includes work done in study-abroad programs or courses taken Pass/Fail. You may submit unofficial transcripts only if they are accompanied by institutional grading and credit system information, most commonly found on the reverse side of paper transcripts. If your institution does not provide digitized transcripts you can upload scanned paper transcripts to the online application. Please make sure to include the reverse side with the grading and credit system information. Alternatively, you can send paper transcripts to 969 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, Attention: Sarina Carrillo. If your college work is incomplete at the time of application, you must send a final transcript when your final grades and degree conferral have been recorded.
A Comprehensive Resume.
- GRE Scores: We do not require GRE scores.
- Interviews: We do not require interviews.
- Financial Aid: SSA offers both merit- and need-based scholarships. To be eligible, you must answer all financial information questions included in the online application. Most applicants also apply for federal student loans or work-study to bridge the gap between their scholarship and the full cost of their tuition and fees. Please see the financial aid section of our site for a complete description of financial aid procedures.
- Deposit: Applicants who are admitted must confirm their acceptance by submitting a $250 non-refundable deposit to reserve their place in the School. The $250 deposit will be credited towards their autumn quarter tuition.